Click to View the New Kindle 3G + Wifi or Kindle Wi-Fi
The Kindle 3 has been an astounding hit. Read on to see just why the 3rd generation ebook reader from Amazon is so popular. We figured that it seemed only fair to actually have a look at the latest generation of Kindle Wireless Reading Device and how it compares to the previous model.
If you still own an older model we hope the following information will help you make the upgrade. You might be wondering will you like it or will you miss your old Kindle 2? Let me assure you the answer to the big question, “will you want the new Kindle 3?” is a resounding “Yes!”.
So let’s have a look at what’s new and improved about this long awaited new 3rd generation Kindle eBook Reader…
In fact lets have a Kindle 2 / Kindle 3 Compare!
Well, we don’t need to look at all the features the old Kindle 2 had since we cannot even buy one of those anymore. But here’s how the two versions stack up (courtesy of amazon):
So then, the key improvements rolled out for the amazon Kindle 3 are:
- A smaller lighter body but keeping the same 6″ screen. The new Kindle iii weighs only 8.7 ounces!
- Improved screen contrast and darker more defined text to make reading even more enjoyable and relaxing.
- Huge increase in memory capacity allowing up to 3500 eBooks to be stored.
- Battery life improvements giving you up to a month between charges when the wifi is switched off.
- An improved PDF viewer with the option to scroll and zoom. There is now the facility to look up in the dictionary and add notes or highlights.
- Built in wifi, so now you can download new titles for in wifi hotspots as well as using the original 3G technology.
- Improved web browser with free 3G web browsing and dedicated programs to help you quickly and easily post passages to your Facebook or Twitter accounts. This is still an experimental feature and quite honestly not the main point of the Kindle at all, but still a useful thing to have.
- Soft rubberised casing at the back, meaning the eBook Reader is easier to hold and will not feel like it might drop.
- Options to change font styles, and more importantly the ability to recognise alternative fonts and scripts. The Kindle 3 will display Chinese (in both simplified and traditional form), Cyrillic (Russian script), Japanese, Korean, Latin and Greek characters.
- Will double as an mp3 player. You can download mp3 tracks or podcasts and listen to them as background music as you read.
- The “Read to Me” feature has been enhanced so the Kindle 3 which actually now read menus aloud, allowing you to avoid all that tiresome reading!
So there we have the key upgrades for the Kindle Three Wireless Reading Device. But there are also two more important points:
- You can choose between having Kindle 3G and wifi capability or simply wifi for your new Kindle 3. Which you choose of course depends on how much you rely on 3G and whether you have ready access to wifi. But remember the biggest difference is the price. Whilst the Kindle 3 wifi only model is an extremely cheap $139, the 3G and wifi enabled model is still priced at $189 like its predecessor. The only difference between the two sorts of new Kindle 3 are the price and the absence (or inclusion) of 3G.
- The second “upgrade” is the color! No not very technical but it is always nice to have a change isn’t it? The cheap wifi only Kindle 3 comes in graphite. The Kindle 3, 3G and wifi model comes in a choice of white or graphite.
There you go, all the important points to consider between the old Kindle 2 and the new Kindle 3. Compare and contrast so to speak! Plus of course their are more improvements happening, so it is always worth checking out the latest Kindle 3 updates too.