The Hanvon Ebook Reader (Model N518 aka the WISEreader) is a solid, really portable handheld reading device. Like the Ectaco jetBook this one sells itself with its multi-language support. This time offering support for both English language and Chines (in traditional and simplified formats).
Sold through amazon via the link above the Hanvon N518 incorporates full handwriting recognition technology allowing the user to make notes, highlight and so on naturally with the stylus provided.
There are “tens of books” pre-loaded onto the portable reader, though the suppliers fail to tell us what they are which is a shame. More importantly though this is a multi-format e-reading device so once bought you are not locked into having to buy ebooks from any one particular source.
What Do You Get with the Hanvon Ebook Reader N518?
Firstly this is in the same price bracket as the Kindle 2 Ebook Reader, Sony Touch Edition and the nook Ebook Reading Device. It does come with a wider range of accessories included in the price than any of the other e-readers around though. The target audience for the Hanvon N518 is slightly different though and is why it differs so significantly from those two readers:
- Smaller than the Kindle, the Hanvon reader has rough dimension of 6 x 4.4 x 0.5 inches and is under 6.8 ounces in weight making it one of the lightest reader around. This is a pocket reader designed just for that – to fit in your pocket.
- Again this reader uses the really easy to read, E Ink® “Electronic Paper” screen for clear viewing and no glare. The screen is around 5″, similar to the Sony Pocket Edition. With 8 shades of gray to give good contrast for general reading and basic image display.
- Handwriting recognition technology allows you to make notes, comments and highlight in a far more natural way, just as you would with a book.
- Multi language support. Supports English, traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese characters.
- The memory capacity is never ending. One 4GB SD memory card is supplied but the Hanvon N518 will take up to 32GB SD cards so the library that can be stored is limitless.
- Battery life is up to 8000 page turns which is on a par with the other reading devices mentioned. Perhaps better news is that as well as being supplied with a USB charger – data transfer cable, a real plug in charger is supplied with most purchases too, giving much faster charge times of around 2 hours.
- Multi Formats Supported. Similar in scope to the Sony readers, the Hanvon WISEreader supports many file types including; TXT, HTXT, HTML, PDF, DOC and most importantly EPUB text files, JPG, TIF, BMP, PNG and GIF image files plus Adobe content management and MP3 audio files.
- Audio Books and music files supported so you can use the WISEreader as an MP3 player.
- Only Windows compatable, so at present MAC owners would not be able to transfer ebooks to the reader.
- The N518 form Hanvon is available in both white and black color options.
- Accesories supplied include USB data transfer – charging cable, wall charger and a cover.
The Hanvon WISEreader N518 is not one of the most well know ebook readers around. But you can expect to hear a lot more about the company. Their display at this year’s International CES Exhibition showed off some of their more innovative tablets for graphics and writing, plus their far-reaching face recongition series.
Personally if you want a multi-format supporting pocket sized handheld Ebook Reader I would choose the better priced Sony Pocket Edition. But if the Chinese language support is useful to you then you really cannot go wrong with the Hanvon Ebook Reader N518.
Hanvon Technology at Amazon
[ReviewAZON display="searchquery" query="hanvon" count="5" category="All" page="1" sort="default"]